Business Development ManagerAcom Construction Group, Inc. - Mchenry, Illinois
Our company is seeking a Business Development Manager with at least 5 years of commercial construction new business development experience. The Sales Leader will work primarily on new (and existing) commercial project opportunities within our core markets: commercial high-rise, light-industrial, multifamily, and corporate office. The Business Development leader will work closely with architects, engineers, owners, and local suppliers and subcontractors to execute the highest quality projects.
Nature, Scope & Key Competencies
This position leads the Development and Marketing efforts for new businesses in all respects of the client development process. Construction sales experience (specifically in commercial developments) is the critical component in succeeding in this position. You will be leading the charge on the following efforts:
• Marketing, Networking & Client Development with owners, Architects, Developers, and other new business activities.
• Coordinate with Preconstruction, Project Management, and Executives to assess new projects and deliver the highest quality construction to our new clients.
• Utilizing Sales experience along with commercial construction background to develop new clients (and continue development of existing clientele). Other Skills Needed for This Position
• Project management and team leadership experience
• Technical knowledge of architecture and building construction
• Real estate property and contract law
• Prepare / Review Contractor and Consultant Proposals, Agreements and Contracts
This position is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating the company’s sales efforts for powered suspended access systems. The incumbent will manage a pipeline for current and new accounts interested in our industrial and commercial services. This will generally require estimating, managing the project’s construction, and upholding strong customer relationships. The incumbent will coordinate multi-craft sales, which include scaffold construction, scaffold rental, construction activities, insulation, and coatings.
• Promotes and investigates opportunities for growth with both new and/or existing customers
• Analyzes market trends, opportunities, and threats, and assists in developing a strategic business plan to achieve goals
• Establish relationships with new and existing customers to develop and maintain long-term multi-craft services contracts. Work with customers and our services team to develop creative cost-effective solutions
• Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills
• Identify business development and potential extra work opportunities as they relate to the project
• Perform job walks and review blueprints, plans, and other customer documents to develop and prepare access designs, cost estimates, and/or project improvements
• Represent the company in a professional and ethical manner with integrity Qualifications:
• 4-year degree in business is a plus but not required.
• PM certification is a plus but not required.
• 3-5 years of experience or a combination of education and experience in industrial sales.
• Must have some estimating understanding/experience in scaffolding, insulation, coatings, paint, etc
-Conduct sales presentations with existing and prospective customers.
-Meet with General Contractors in the office, on job sites, and at association meetings.
-Demonstrate a strong understanding of products, promotions, and market trends.
-Properly prepare for appointments by building proposals, preparing objections.
-Maintain current knowledge of the latest company and industry developments by attending sales meetings and training.
-High School Diploma or equivalent.
-Relevant sales experience with a strong record of achievement.
-For those with the drive, determination, and right core skills – we’ll train you to thrive on our team.
-Bulletproof confidence with exceptional communications and presentation skills.
-Unique capacity to connect with and talk to anyone.
-Demonstrated track record in closing new customers.
-Goal setting, time-management, and strategic planning for goal achievement.
-Self-motivated, coachable, adaptable, and organized.
-Ability to build and maintain relationships.
-Knowledge of Windows-based software and Microsoft applications.
-Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
-Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
-Strong analytical skills. -Must possess a positive outlook and intrinsic desire to achieve.
-Must successfully complete a background check.
-Must possess a valid driver’s license. -Must live within assigned territory.
-Ability to travel daily within assigned territory as well as 10% travel outside of the territory (within the U.S.).
•Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent industry experience
•2+ years of successful outside sales experience
•Experience in digital advertising sales •Experience with CRM software
• Participate in strategic business planning; developing strategic positioning plan for company and project pursuits to win work
• Provide insight into market sectors and perform market trend analysis
• Establish and nurture strategic business partnerships and customer relationships
• Develop and maintain relationships with existing and potential partners which may include: targeted customers, design professionals, partner companies, community leaders, utilities, equipment manufacturers, and engineering firms
• Identify new market sector opportunities and potential future customers and convert them to contacts for potential bid opportunities
• Work with the Business Unit Leaders to identify and develop opportunities to expand existing work and to procure additional work to ensure the continuous backlog of work
• Facilitate the development of a tiered and chronological business development plan for targeted customers with executable actions plans and projected revenue targets
• Become familiar with customer’s project estimates to facilitate discussion with the customer
• Complete Request for Proposals with 100% accuracy and compliance with the owner’s specifications
• Craft and produce internal and external communications, marketing/branding/advertising materials, and presentations
• Initiate customer feedback on proposals and presentations
• Use the appropriate level of forethought and planning in decision-making to assure project success • Commitment to ‘Safety First’ as a foundational commitment to our employees and our customers
• Support by example and by direction, our organizational commitment to competently manage our business, professionally interact with our employees and customers, and perform our work to the highest standards of excellence
• Understand and support the organizational responsibilities of the Executive Team and accept leadership accountability as an integral member of our team.
• Work with the Business Unit Leaders and Project Managers to cultivate a customer-based communication matrix to ensure full transparency with no ‘blind siding’ utilizing reports from our company systems
• Maintain appropriate transparency of business development activities with the Executive Team to ensure an objective review of methodology, metrics, and ratable results
• Support and facilitate the development of organizational financial goals, objectives, and metrics
• Support and facilitate the development of overall corporate business development goals and objectives
The Successful Applicant Qualifications:
• Minimum 5 years experience in a Business Development sales professional role with a General Contractor, Developer, or Real Estate firm
• Demonstration of consistent achievement of customer acquisition and sales revenue targets
• Ability to maintain strong sales management focus during longer sales cycles
• Ability to work both independently and within highly motivated teams
• Demonstrated ability to manage often complex negotiations
• Experienced in selling projects ranging from $1-15M • Understanding of project projections
• Excellent knowledge of the local subcontract and supplier market, both union and merit shop.
• Competency in intermediate to advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office products and CRM products
• BS in Business, Marketing, Construction Management or related field not required but highly recommended. Intangible Characteristics:
• Attention to detail, Organized
• Mentality of ‘have to succeed’ ‘have to see progress’
• Work effectively and independently with minimal guidance
• Team Player